Ever heard the saying? Of course you have. Going with the flow may be an overused cliche to you, but there’s an abundance of truth in these words. You might agree with me that you most often hear the phrase when situations arise (or when “life happens”) that haven’t gone the way you’ve pictured them to.
Maybe you’re already a pro at going with the flow – no rhyme intended here. However, I write from experience of wanting to control the flow all the time and for the actually thinking I could. So silly I was! In fact one of my jobs, previously being the manager of a high volume restaurant, was literally to “control the flow” of the guests entering so that every aspect of the restaurant would run smoothly. The ripple effect from the control at the front door would ensure that each guest and staff member had a positive experience.
Unlike a restaurant, when flow control is applied to our lives the ripple effect may actually become more like a tornado. It can be so easy to get caught up with trying to maintain control over every situation that it’s almost inevitable at some point to leave you winded, stressed out and defeated.
I’ve chosen to highlight 5 great reminders why trading ideals and expectations to be in the flow is the way to do it.
- Knowing that whatever is out there is bigger than you. You may have already defined it or maybe you haven’t quite decided what you think of it yet. Either way, the beauty of the flow is that ultimately we are not in control of it. Talk about relieving, frustrating, hilarious, annoying and encouraging all at the same time. To sum it up in one word: perfect.
- Being in the flow teaches us how to stand back and look at life through different lenses. Gaining different perspectives on life allows you to keep growing, experiencing and learning.
- Forget feeling disappointed, discouraged and uncertain. We’ve all experienced these feelings! When you go with the flow, it’s easier to start losing attachments to outcomes of any situation whether it’s based on your career path, how you’ve planned your morning or even the outcome of moving across the country to be with the love of your life.
- I’ve said the word perfect, but to reinforce it- being in the flow reminds us that every moment is in fact perfect. It’s so freeing, isn’t it? This means that the way anything has happened is exactly how it was supposed to happen. Aside from romantic comedies, I have yet to see anyone time travel to change how life’s events unfold.
- Your nervous system favors the flow. More relaxation, happiness, calm breathing – yes please! You will naturally feel more focus on what you want to be feeling, and will have no other choice but to attract more of the good stuff into your life. Feeling happy and connected is a big part of being in good health and feeling well.